Wednesday, January 21, 2015

"I might head out flying"



"I might head out flying."

January 21, 2015

My apologies for that cruddy video, I need to clear some space on my phone something awful. But Robin can jam. Robin has been homeless for a few years now following...pay attention ladies--a terrible break up! What is that 4 for 4? I'm just saying ;) We won't get into this topic! haha Robin was just about as chill of a guy as you can find. He usually stays in a shelter, especially when it's cold but enjoys putting down at the river from time to time. As a Christian, I tend to try and work Jesus into my conversations, but Robin beat me to the punch. Before I had the chance to explain my situation, he asked me if I was homeless and offered some encouraging words about God's plans for each and everyone. Honestly we didn't talk much we just stood there looking at the river for some time, occasionally touching on a topic here and there, including addiction. Robin likes to smoke green and drink a lot. "I like to be alone most of the time..." 5 second pause "...unless I'm partyin! haha" He loves to drink and will often pick an uncrowded bar on Broadway to grab a pitcher. Robin earns his money by jammin on Broadway (outside the bars) something he has done in various cities over the years. Yesterday sucked. He made $17 including the $2 I threw him for a private session; but usually he can pump out anywhere from $40-$80 in tips in one day. It is a skill he picked up after seeing someone else do the same thing, he saved up $8 to get one of his own and has been doing it ever since. He loves the harmonica.

He has not seen or heard from his kids since he became homeless.
He has no plans of escaping homelessness.


"I might head out flying."

This constituted an explanation! No, Robin is not a pilot nor is it a term for getting high--my first inclination. Flying is posting up on a corner or freeway ramp (His favorite) with a sign. This is something he enjoys doing especially when he has a chair or ledge to sit on and maybe a 'sneaker' bottle in his coat. Like most of the guys I've talked to, Robin had a great sense of humor. He told several funny stories. Apparently people throw things at flyers. Sad until you hear it from his perspective. He has been hit with a pen (actually speared through his sign and landed in his lap!), wads of loose change and an ashtray full of change! He didn't care all that much and thought it was kind of fun timing his runs in and out of traffic to pick up quarters off the ramp.
____________________________________________________________________________



Last night was mighty chilly.


Happy hump day!

Post questions on blog & join me on twitter/instagram to share your thoughts with The Secret Shirt Project community!
@secretshirtnash
#homelessmatt

Support The Secret Shirt Project on Kickstarter!  http://bit.ly/secretshirtproject

Or just email me! secretshirtmatt@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment